Wednesday, December 11, 2013

It has begun.

3:56 p.m. The phone rings.

I was coming down the stairs when it rang, so I turned right around and headed back up to my office. Hubby and I both have cell phones, and those are the best ways to reach us, but we keep a home phone number for a couple of reasons. One, the kids need to memorize our phone number. Two, it gives us a place to collect messages.

And it lets us screen calls...which we usually do.

However, this time it wasn't a robo-call. I didn't recognize the name on the caller ID display, but I picked up anyway. "Hello?"

"Hello," a small voice said. "This is Brooke. Medium Fry is in my class, and she gave me her phone number. I was calling to see if she's there."

"She is. Just a minute, honey." I took the phone to Medium. "Medium, Brooke is on the phone for you."

"Brooke!" Medium's face lit up. "Hi, Brooke!" she said when I handed her the phone.

Small was very put out that she wasn't the one getting a phone call.

Large complained that she wanted to talk to Brooke, too, despite not knowing the little girl.

And all I could think of when I hung up the phone after the five-minute call was that my phone line is going to get a lot busier in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is just the beginning. Resist the urge to get them cell phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. For as long as is possible.

      Delete

If you are rude, spiteful, or just plain mean, there will be a $10 charge just for putting up with you.

Please be nice.